The History Of The Upper Rogue Schools

In the late 1980s, Thomasine(Tommy) Smith and her husband, Stan, decided to make a video showing the history of the Upper Rogue Schools from 1879-1988.  Tommy had been owner of the Central Point restaurant, Mon Desir(which burned to the ground several years ago), and a Shady Cove restaurant, Bel Dis on the Rogue River.  For the project, she and Stan enlisted the help of many citizens, who supplied them with personal photos and memories of the schools.  In keeping with the project, she used music which reflected the times.  Tommy deserves our thanks for creating a video that gives an in-depth look at the lives of schoolchildren and their teachers.  Two things become apparent:  a true community spirit permeated all gatherings, and there was a genuine pride in the schools themselves.  Thanks again, Tommy, for preserving this special part of the history of the Upper Rogue.